Monday, May 2, 2011

James 4: Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch

I hope you get a chuckle out the picture I am including with this weeks blog. it made me smile so I felt like I had to include it. I know that many times in my childhood I was told, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." This is a good principle in general, but did you know that it is also a biblical principle?

Over and over again the Bible tells us to consider the cost. It's important to think ahead and know what you are getting yourself into, but there is a real difference between thinking ahead and counting your chickens before they hatch--or what we affectionately call in our house "pulling a James 4". Allow me to explain.

As Christians, we should think before we act. We should plan ahead and consider the cost and possible outcomes of our actions before we just jump into things (Luke 14:28-32). This is considered a matter of good practice and when we don't think ahead we are considered foolish. I have said it before and I will say it again--anything taken to the extreme is bad. Basically the way that I see it is that "counting your chickens before they hatch" or "pulling a James 4" is taking planning ahead to the extreme.

In James chapter 4, we are told the story of an individual or group of individuals that start to make all these plans for their lives years and years in advance...

"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." James 4:13 & 14

I don't think that the planning in and of itself was what was bad. It was the attitude behind it. James warns these individuals that they don't know what their lives hold. Then he points out the real problem--these people have taken God out of the planning!

"Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil." James 4: 15 & 16

When you take God out of the planning and out of the equation you begin to rely solely on yourself. Verse 16 goes so far as to call it evil. Are you asking God what He has planned for your life or are you planning it all out for yourself? Are you assuming that you know what's best or are you relying on God to direct your paths? Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Go to God and make Him the active leader in planning for your life.

11 comments:

  1. Are we asking God what He has planned or telling Him what we have planned? I want to wait on the Lord and follow His will for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made the mistake of counting my chickens before they hatch too many times. I want to wait for the Lord too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, that's a great way to phrase it. I was struggling with how exactly to explain my meaning but I think you hit the nail on the head "Are we asking God...or telling Him?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen, I think that we all have at one point or another. I know that I definitely have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I need to learn to let God have control and want what He wants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so easy to get too far ahead of yourself and to try and take the reins away from God. God waits for us to move so that He can direct our paths but you have to let him do the directing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christiana!
    It's Sophie! Can you imagine what's going on at Blogging for books? That's sad but at least the corrupt ones will be weeded out though it hurts the rest. I worked hard for my three reviews :) You had many right? :( So sorry! But what do you think? Also, I love your blog! Will be reading more of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie, Yeah it is sad about what is going on. I did have several on my Lady in Waiting book review because I was pushing all my friends to review it so that I could win the ipod but I still got beat by like 300+ reviews that month. I have had several reviews on others but didn't try as hard after that. Also, thanks for your kind words about my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not bothered about the prizes because I'll spend too much energy trying to get people to vote. I'm kinda busy haha. Anyway, I wanted to ask you a quick question :) Do you think my blog is wayy too much with the decor and all? Just asking because I ask everyone :) Thanks! Ok no more comments tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your blog. I think that the simple background balances out all the pics and content so I think that you are good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you, though I wouldnt be hurt if you didnt like it so much :) i love positive criticism. anyway, i have an exam this evening! gotta go!

    ReplyDelete