Monday, April 19, 2010

Who Am I?

In the hectic moments of life when you have run from one activity to another and from one responsibility to the next, do you ever find yourself asking “Who am I?” It is easy to confuse our role with who we really are. Am I a mom? A youth minister? A wife? A coach? A teacher? Not only do we get confused about who we are, we also get confused in our purpose and self-worth.

I was recently talking to my aunt about a project we are working on together. She is writing a children’s book and I am supposed to be illustrating it. I have been having trouble getting the illustrations right because of some self-doubt issues that I deal with on a daily basis. When I expressed these feelings to her, this is what she wrote back to me:

“My precious favorite second niece,

I am not sure why you are not confident, but let me reassure you of things you may have forgotten.  Within you, there is a magnificent ability!!  Not only are you artistic, extremely intelligent, and hard working, but you are a beautiful daughter of the King.  Do not doubt for a minute that He is beside you, holding you close to him and will give you insight and wisdom beyond measure if you ask him.  The beauty that you carry is far above rubies, do not dismiss what I am saying. Sometimes we look at ourselves and for some reason, we beat ourselves up for not being a size 2 or not being perfect in some respect.  You count all of the qualities that you possess!!!  You are loving, compassionate, encouraging, supportive, and I think right now you are also overwhelmed with the everyday stressors of life.  You are carrying a great deal of responsibility for your job and your home life.  Look to our God and ask for peace during this time.  Remember the Holy Spirit is the comforter.  Also remember that those of us who love you are here for you.  The phone is by my bed, please call anytime----If you need to talk, I am here for you always.

Don't forget who loves you.”

With that encouragement under my belt, I was able to stop and ask myself “Who does God say I am?” If you stop about think about it, God pictures us all the same. One of us is not better than the other. He created us just the way He wanted us to be. Do we mess up? Yes. Do we go outside of God’s will? Yes. Does God’s perspective or opinion of us ever change? NO! Absolutely NOT!

Who Does God Say I Am?
I AM…
His Cherished One
Created with a Purpose
His Beloved
Not Forgotten!
Precious to Him (Isaiah 43:4)
Bought with a Price (1 Corinthians 6:20)
The Bride of Christ
Redeemed (Exodus 15:13)
Worthy (2 Thessalonians 1:5)
Beautiful (Ecclesiastes 3:11)

I could go on and on. Spend time today seeking out who God says you are. You can do it! It’s amazing what you’ll find! Also, I didn't have time to find the references for the other characteristics, but if you know what they are--feel free to post them in the comments section! Thanks so much!

3 comments:

  1. this one was really really good. Aunt Joy is amazing. and you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, Christiana...you have no idea how much I needed to hear that. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. This week has been such a struggle. I have really wondered who I am this week and what is important to me. Then I have to remind myself that it's more about who God says I am. Now if I could only get myself to believe it more often I would be doing great.

    ReplyDelete