Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wait for the Lord

“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” Psalm 27:14


Wait. How many millions of times have we heard that?! Life is all about hurrying up and waiting or so it seems. We have to wait until we’re older. Wait until we have a job. Wait until we’re married.

Wait upon the Lord. This simple phrase gave me pause. Do I really wait upon the Lord or do I get impatient and jump in and do my own thing because God isn’t fast enough?

Jimmy likes to use this example when he talks about waiting on the Lord… If Jimmy really, really wanted a brand new flat screen TV and he went out and bargained shopped it (that’s what we do in our house). Then he finds an awesome deal where the TV will only cost $700 instead of $900 so he comes back to talk to me about it. Jimmy asks me if it’s okay to buy this $700 TV. I don’t say anything. Does that mean he has the “OK” to go and buy the TV? No way! Just because I don’t give an immediate answer doesn’t mean that I am giving approval. Jimmy needs to wait.

It’s the same with God. Just because He doesn’t say “Yes” right away or He isn’t granting our requests like an all-powerful genie doesn’t mean that we should take things into our own hands. Neither does it mean that He doesn’t hear us. He simply wants us to wait. In Psalm 27, God says we are to be strong and take heart and wait. Don’t give into the temptation to give up! Be strong! Be patient! God will send you His answer in His time and in His way.

“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” Psalm 27:14

No comments:

Post a Comment