Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why NOT Me God?

A couple of weeks ago I wrote an article called "Why Me God?", and in it I discussed reasons people would question God for the things happening in their lives. As I considered this question I also thought, how often do we complain to God about the things that aren't happening in our lives? So this is my response to my own pondering (yes, I do talk to myself frequently).

Why Isn't the World Fair?
"Why not me God?" This is a question I think that I have asked about a million times. I particularly struggle with this question when it comes to having children. I am going to take a moment and share something really personal with you, so if you don't struggle with this please don't judge me but if you do then maybe you will know exactly where I am coming from.

These are my Struggles:
  • I am a good person, living a good life, and doing God's work, why can't I get pregnant?
  • Why do people who don't want kids have kids, and I desperately want kids but can't seem to have them?
  • Why do teenagers who aren't responsible enough and people who abuse children have kids, and we would love and care for our kids but we haven't been able to have any?
In short, why isn't life fair? Why do good things happen to bad people? Why aren't they happening for me?

Because God Loves
The reason life isn't fair and the only answer to my question is that God loves us--all of us--good, bad, and ugly. He shows His love by giving us grace and mercy and forgiveness. Although it's hard to hear, God has His reasons for doing things and not doing things and they will always work out according to His perfect plan and purpose.  Matthew 5:45b says, "He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." He often gives us things that we don't deserve--grace-- and He doesn't give us things we do deserve--mercy--because honestly we deserve punishment. Remember Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Take Heart
Although we don't understand God, His plan, or what He is doing or not doing in our lives, TAKE HEART! Read the promises He has given us through His word and remember...

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

To all of you who are struggling with these questions, know that you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment